Having your home damaged or destroyed by a fire can be emotionally and financially devastating. It can be overwhelming trying to re-build your life after a fire, but if you have the right kind of homeowner’s insurance, you may not have to deal with a ruinous financial loss. Here is our guide to help you manage the process of restoring your home and property.
If you have a fire emergency:
- First, call 911 from a safe location to deal with any fire emergency.
- Call family members to let them know you are ok.
- Call your insurance company as soon as possible.
- Make every attempt to minimize the loss and/or damage.
- Make repairs if needed to prevent further damage.
- Connect with neighbors for help.
- Do not go back into your home if it is unsafe.
- Start to inventory your damaged property
- Take pictures of the damage. (Note: It is always a good idea to do a home inventory video and upload it to the cloud so that you have a video reminder of what you have in case you have a fire loss.)